- In 1933, Adolf Hitler became the chief of Germany. He established a Nazi Regime.
- World War II began on the 1st September 1939, when Germany invaded Poland. On the 3rd September of 1939, Great-Britain and France declared War again’st Germany.
- World War II opposed the Allies (French, British, American and Canadian soldiers) and the Axis Alliance (German, Italian and Japanese soldiers).
D-Day or Normandy Landings were operations made by the Allies on the 6th of June 1944 against the Axis Alliance which consisted of Germany, Japan and Italy. The Allies were made up of the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Free France and Canada. The Allies invaded Normandy in Operation Overlord during World War II (1939-1945). It was the biggest seaborne invasion in History. The operation began the liberation of German occupied Northwestern Europe from Nazi control.
160 000 Allied troops landed a long a 50 mile stretch of heavily-fortified French coastline, to fight Germany on the beaches of Normandy. They landed on 5 beaches called Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword. There were about 4 000 deaths and 10 000 injured men. 5 000 ships and 13 000 aircrafts supported the D-Day landings. A lot of the deaths, were on Omaha Beach.
- Now, there are many people who visit the landings beaches.
- Last year, it was the 70th birthday of the D-Day landings. Several presidents such as Barack Obama, Angela Merkel, François Hollande,… were present during the commemoration.
- There are many american cymeteries in Normandy in tribute to American Soldiers.
The end of the War
- World War II finished on the 8th May 1945 in Europe with the capitulation of the Nazi Regime. Hitler committed suicide before the Remembrance Day.
- The 2nd September 1945, the WW2 finished definitively after the bombardment of Nagasaki and Hiroshima in Japan by the USA.
by Etienne Adeline